SQL Agent Insight:Documentation:Connecting to an Instance
Connecting to an Instance of SQL Server®
This article will assist in connecting to an instance of SQL Server® to start monitoring the SQL Agent in that instance quickly. There are multiple ways to connect to a SQL Server® instance with SQL Agent Insight, including:
- Clicking on the New Insight button in the toolbar,
- Selecting New Insight... from the File menu,
- Double-clicking a server name from the list of Available Instances, post enumeration,
- Double-clicking a server name from the list of Previously Monitored Instances, or,
- Pressing the key sequence, CTRL+N
|When entering a SQL Server® instance name manually, ensure to follow SQL Server® instance naming conventions. Additionally, if the SQL Server® instance requires a specific port, it can be included after the instance name, separated by a comma.
The Server dropdown will always contain any instances of SQL that have been enumerated. Post server/instance selection, toggle Windows Authentication on or off. Turning off Windows authentication will enable the SQL User and SQL Password textboxes for entry.
After deciding on the authentication method (Windows or SQL), the connection dialog has an option to start the Insight in maintenance mode. Starting the Insight in maintenance mode has the following benefits:
- All metrics immediately go into a state of maintenance (they will appear grey within the Insight),
- No new alarms for this instance will appear in the dashboard,
- No email notifications are sent, if they are enabled for the Insight, and,
- No warning or critical logging of threshold breaches will occur within the Insight log.
Microsoft®, Windows® and SQL Server® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Some icons courtesy of Icons8